Golf has been played in Lybster for over a hundred years.
The original course was situated at the Black Park (the present location). In 1904, after the completion of the Wick to Lybster Light Railway, the course was moved to the Reisgill Burn, just to the south side the village.
In 1926 the club moved back to its present location and the club was formally established and a constitution drawn up.
In recognition of the fact that our clubhouse is the former ticket office and that the railway line bisected the course, we adopted the steam train in our club logo. The train, which ran between Wick and Lybster, was referred to locally as the ‘Coffee Pot’. The Wick to Lybster Light Railway, which bisected the course, was closed in 1944.
In the mid 1970s the railway ticket office was refurbished, and is now the clubhouse. Our equipment store, at the back of the first green, was previously the clubhouse!
Please click on the links below to view articles on our history:
Lybster Golf Club, Main Street, Lybster, Caithness, KW3 3BL